Product Showcase: The Foodery
I have never been a fan of pre-made diet-based meals like Jenny Craig. They are tasteless, nutritionally inadequate, and provide a “quick fix” without the ability to facilitate lasting and healthful change. And it wasn’t until I was recently introduced to The Foodery that I fell in love with the idea of home delivered meals. To be brief, The Foodery is everything that Jenny Craig isn’t.
A couple of months ago, the owners of The Foodery contacted me. They were relatively new to the area and trying to get connected with local business owners. Originally when they reached out to me for a meet-up I made it very clear that I do NOT promote diets and am not an advocate of any type of company that sells meal replacements and low quality food for people desperate to lose weight. And they quickly reassured me, that’s not what they are in business for. Phew.
Turns out I have a lot in common with Mike and John from The Foodery. One- we like food a lot. But we don’t like just any food, we like food that tastes really really good. Two- we care about quality ingredients. And three- we don’t always have the time we’d like to prepare delicious and nutritionally balanced meals. If you’d like to learn more about their history and business philosophy, definitely check out their blog and website.
After our meet-up, Mike and John invited me to taste test their food in order to provide them constructive feedback. (I know, my job sounds really rough sometimes.) When the food arrived, it felt a little like Christmas.
The packaging and presentation made the whole experience totally enjoyable. I sampled three different meals:
1. Filet, spinach, watercress salad, blueberry dressing
2. Porcini-topped lamb, butternut squash, couscous
3. Shrimp veggie pizza, whole wheat crust
What I LOVED:
1. Presentation- the meals were beautifully presented. The balance, color, and variety were very visually appealing.
2. Variety- I selected items that I probably wouldn’t prepare at home. It was really fun to have such a wide variety of tastes and flavors in the course of a few days.
3. Freshness- All of the food tasted incredibly fresh. No wilty vegetables. No store bought flavor. Even the blueberry dressing for the salad was homemade and bursting with flavor.
4. Nutritional Quality- Each of the meals was really nicely balanced from a nutritional perspective. The only meal I found lacking in the nutritional department was the salad. I would have liked a grain integrated in to the meal. That was the meal that left me feeling less than fully satisfied.
Things to consider:
If you are looking for high-quality, nicely prepared, organic, nutritious, and yummy food delivered to your door- The Foodery is IT. Right now the meals are delivered on Sunday evening within a 3 hour time frame. If you aren’t typically home from 6-9 on Sunday evenings, this could prove to be problematic. Also, the price point is $23 per meal. Given the time and costs of preparing an organic meal, seems pretty reasonable to me, but something to keep in mind.
So if you give The Foodery a try, be sure to tell ‘em Marci sent you. J Happy eating.