Last week a friend of mine said something that kind of broke my heart “Marci, when you get rid of all the unhealthy stuff in your diet, you aren’t left with anything that tastes good.” Au contraire! If you agree with those sentiments, there are potentially two culprits here:
1. You are eating too rigid. Every meal needs some fat, so careful not to cut everything out!
2. You need to learn the art of spices and seasonings. Learning to bring flavor to a dish without butter and salt is easy. Here’s an old blog post that gives you a ton of basic info on how to use spices and seasonings that might be helpful to you.
In the mean time, check out this totally kick butt veggie lasagna I made up. It’s simple and so so so good! Notice I don’t have any measurements. For you anal chefs, I do apologize. I don’t measure much when cooking. It saves time and usually turns out pretty good. 🙂
No boil lasagna noodles
Jar of your favorite marinara
Part-skim mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses
Your favorite veggies for roasting (I used mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, and onions)
Favorite seasons: Italian blend (oregano, basil, thyme), black pepper, crushed red pepper, sea salt, etc
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray.
2. Slice your veggies and throw them on the pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with all of your seasonings (ok, don’t be shy here). Put veggies in the oven for 30-45 min, flipping every 15 min or so.
3. Once your veggies are done, get ready to assemble the lasagna. Pour a bit of marinara on the bottom of your baking dish. Add lasagna noodles. Load with veggies. Add cheese. Then repeat
4. Bake at 350 degrees. 30 min with foil on. 20-30 min with foil off. Enjoy!
Do you have any delicious and nutritious you love? If yes, send them my way! I’d love to highlight it.
Your good food lovin’ dietitian in Cambridge