By Elizabeth Jarrard- Registered Dietitian at Marci RD Nutriton
Do you surround yourself with inspiration? Are reminders of your goals staring you in the face when you wake up, when you head out the door? What would happen if they were that close? What would happen if you were constantly reminded of where you want to go in this life, and how you’re going to get there? I wouldn’t think of traveling to somewhere unknown without a map (or my gps) in tow. So what if we map out what our dreams look like so that we end up at our destination-not lost forever.
Vision boards can be a great tool for getting back in touch with what our goals are and where we are headed. The act of creating them should be meditative, soothing and almost therapeautic, as you find images and words that resonate you with. Then when you have finalized it (for the time being), you can hang it as a constant reminder of where you are and where you would like to go. And of course because we are fluid, and our goals and dreams are ever changing it’s important to create new vision boards to serve those changed desires.
Making a vision board is easy.
1. Gather a large piece of construction or any other “heavy” paper
2. Find a bunch of magazines (from a variety of genres. Beauty, travel, food, you name it!
3. In a peaceful place scour the magazines for words and images that resonate with you and cut them out
4. Arrange the images and phrases on the paper and use good ol’ glue or modpodge to adhere them
5. Hang in a prominent place to be forever reminded of where you are heading
I surround my desk with vision boards of past and present
Have you ever made a vision board? How has it helped you? Care to share?