Recipe: Butternut Squash Stew
This blog post is brought to you buy Lauren Fowler, dietetic student. Enjoy!
Over the past few weeks, I thought spring had come early because of the lack of snow and cold temperatures. I woke up to a surprise snowstorm last week, and this soup was the perfect recipe to warm me up after walking home from campus in the snow. It’s hearty from the squash, chickpeas, and lentils, and the garam masala and jalapeno both add a little kick to it. To spice it up even more, I used fire roasted canned tomatoes rather than plain diced canned tomatoes.
The original recipe is from the blog, Eat Live Run, but I made a few adjustments to make it without the crockpot.
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large carrot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
2-3 tsp garam masala
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (fire roasted is great!)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 cup red lentils
2 15 oz cans chickpeas
1 tsp salt
Roast the chopped butternut squash for 35 minutes at 375 F. While the squash is roasting, chop the rest of the ingredients. Heat the oil over medium high heat, then sauté the carrot, onion, and jalapeno for 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and garam masala and sauté for 30 more seconds, making sure to stir the spice continuously. Add the water and vegetable broth and red lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low-medium, and add the chickpeas, squash, and diced tomatoes. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes, then enjoy!
I had plenty of leftovers, which were perfect heated up and topped with a dollop of greek yogurt.
If you liked this post, you might also like one of these recent posts:
- Defining Self-Acceptance... Or At Least My Definition 18-Feb-2017
- Practice Taking a Pause 15-Feb-2017
- BED and The Well-Trained Clinician: Are You Helping Without Harming? 06-Feb-2017
- 5 Week Mindful Eating Meal Support Series 12-Jan-2017
- Healing the Hate: A Better Body Image in the New Year 10-Jan-2017
- Resolutions: Making change a reality 28-Dec-2016
- Healthy Selfishness 23-Dec-2016
- Holiday Bill of Rights 07-Dec-2016
- Tips for Thanksgiving 22-Nov-2016
- Self-Care or Self-Destruction Post-Election 2016 15-Nov-2016
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.