Recipe: Butternut Squash Stew
This blog post is brought to you buy Lauren Fowler, dietetic student. Enjoy!
Over the past few weeks, I thought spring had come early because of the lack of snow and cold temperatures. I woke up to a surprise snowstorm last week, and this soup was the perfect recipe to warm me up after walking home from campus in the snow. It’s hearty from the squash, chickpeas, and lentils, and the garam masala and jalapeno both add a little kick to it. To spice it up even more, I used fire roasted canned tomatoes rather than plain diced canned tomatoes.
The original recipe is from the blog, Eat Live Run, but I made a few adjustments to make it without the crockpot.
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large carrot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
2-3 tsp garam masala
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (fire roasted is great!)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 cup red lentils
2 15 oz cans chickpeas
1 tsp salt
Roast the chopped butternut squash for 35 minutes at 375 F. While the squash is roasting, chop the rest of the ingredients. Heat the oil over medium high heat, then sauté the carrot, onion, and jalapeno for 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and garam masala and sauté for 30 more seconds, making sure to stir the spice continuously. Add the water and vegetable broth and red lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low-medium, and add the chickpeas, squash, and diced tomatoes. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes, then enjoy!
I had plenty of leftovers, which were perfect heated up and topped with a dollop of greek yogurt.
If you liked this post, you might also like one of these recent posts:
- How to Help Someone with an Eating Disorder 08-Oct-2016
- The Role of the RD: Outpatient Eating Disorder Treatment 02-Oct-2016
- The Weight of Weight Stigma 26-Sep-2016
- Falling in Like with Exercise 19-Sep-2016
- Eating with Emotion 12-Sep-2016
- Grief and Self-Care 07-Sep-2016
- Eating with Satisfaction 01-Sep-2016
- Amy's Journey- A Guest Blog Post About Recovery 01-Sep-2016
- My Bliss List 25-Aug-2016
- How Do I Know if I'm Hungry? 14-Aug-2016
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.